Schloegel Handyman Service is a locally owned, privately operated remodeling company in Kansas City, MO. Schloegel Handyman Service has been remodeling the standard in home improvement since 1980! We have immediate openings in our different divisions including Design Build, Express Kitchens and Baths, and Handyman Services.
We are a company where meeting the customer expectation is the standard, but exceeding the customer expectation is the goal. We have an excellent reputation in the community for service, ethics and quality. We offer competitive pay along with the following benefits: paid holiday, paid vacation, 401k, medical, dental, tool allowance, gas allowance, and phone.
We are always looking to add professional craftsmen to our production team and right now we are offering a hiring bonus. To submit your resume, complete the form below.
Reports to Project Managers and Production Manager
Lead Carpenters play an important role in the completion and profitability of each Schloegel Design Remodel project. The Lead Carpenter is the job site representative of SDR who manages and performs the daily work as needed to keep a project on schedule and budget while supervising subs and in-house labor.
Lead Carpenters should have five years of remodeling experience and must have a thorough understanding of rough and finish carpentry as well as the different trades required on each project. This position requires the ability and willingness to interact with other SDR employees, subcontractors and clients and take direction from the Project Manager. Good communication skills are vital for success as a Lead Carpenter. All employees must have a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance and a reliable vehicle capable of hauling 4’x8’ sheets of material. All employees must be capable of lifting 80lbs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Complete all work with the highest quality of craftsmanship and in the time allotted.
- Keep informed as to the project as a whole – including any revisions of plans, specs, change orders, schedule, etc.
- Be able to communicate clearly and effectively with the Production Manager, subcontractors, and clients. The Lead Carpenter is the working job site manager.
- Be responsible for job site safety, cleanliness, security and protection from damage during construction. Keep a fire extinguisher, first aid kit and evacuation plan on site. Broom clean daily and vacuum clean on weekends.
- Make sure jobs are secure at all times.
- Check the job site notebook daily and communicate contents to the Project Manager.
- Full investment into our Builder Trend program will be required for success in this position. It will include the following duties:
- Uploading photos as the project progresses for our documentation as well as for the client to view.
- Uploading daily logs at the end of each workday updating the client and all personnel involved in the project.
- Viewing the schedule and planning ahead accordingly.
- Accurately fill out time sheets daily.
- Order construction material as necessary so that it is available when needed. Inform the PM of any special order items in a timely manner.
- Lead Carpenter is responsible for completing jobs per the schedule, as well as working with the Project Manager to keep the schedule updated as a project progresses.
- Order dumpsters when necessary.
- Hold subs, vendors, and in-house labor accountable to SDR standards.
- Be responsible for returning any items for credit.
- Be responsible for collecting all warranty information and give it to the PM in an organized way.
- Maintain and be responsible for any on-site company rental tools and properly return them when they are no longer needed.
- Act as SDR representative on the job site and manage carpenters and subcontractors when PM is not on site.
- When problems or questions arise, try to have a solution in mind before you come to the PM.
- Turn in coded invoices weekly or as requested.
- Maintain a safe, clean and secure jobsite.
- Maintain a positive and upbeat attitude.
- Follow all safety regulations and wear required safety equipment.
- Circular saw
- All hand tools
- Reciprocating saw
- GFCI extension cord
- Framing gun
- Pin nailer
- Table or bench saw
- Belt and orbital sanders
- Router and bits
- Power planer
- Compressor and hose
- Shop Vac
- Miter Saw
- Jig Saw
- ½” Drill
- Cordless screw gun
- 2’ and 4’ levels
- 4’ and 6 ‘step ladder
- Hammer drill
- Crown stapler
- Surface planer
- Biscuit jointer
- 6’ level
- Extension ladder
- Official workday 8:00am – 4:30pm, Monday through Friday, but are flexible as needed.
- Additional hours and weekend work may be required to keep schedule or commitments on track.
- Employees may be required to stand and/or walk over 75% of the time
- Sitting may be required less that 25% of the time
- Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching and/or crawling may be required 25%-75% of the time.
- Lifting up to 25 pounds may be required over 75% of the time.
- Lifting up to 100 pounds may be required over 25%-75% of the time.
- Lifting more than 100 pounds may be required less than 25% of the time.
- All employees must meet the vision requirements to obtain a driver’s license.
- Working in wet or humid conditions (non-weather) may be required under 25% of the time.
- Working near moving mechanical parts may be required over 75% of the time.
- Working in high or precarious places may be required 25%-75% of the time.
- Fumes or airborne particles may be present over 75% of the time.
- Toxic or caustic chemicals may be present under 25% of the time.
- Employees may have to work in outdoor weather conditions 25%-75% of the time.
- Risk of electrical shock may be present over 75% of the time.
- Working with explosives may be required less than 25% of the time.
- Risk of radiation may be present less that 25% of the time.
- Loud noise levels can be typical for this job.
The list of job elements, responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements or conditions is not exhaustive, but is merely the most accurate list of the current job. Responsibilities include other duties as assigned.
Management reserves the right to revise the job description or require that other tasks be performed when the circumstances of the job change (example: emergencies, changes in personnel, workload or technical development, etc.).
Our Handyman Division is seeking a “Jack-of-all-trades” person. This person needs to be experienced in residential and light commercial remodeling, improvement and construction process. This person will be asked to complete light electrical, light plumbing, painting, flooring, framing, trim work, and more. This person needs to be clean cut and capable for keeping himself and a job site organized. This person will also need to be able to clearly and concisely communicate with customers on a regular basis.
- Provide professional handyman services to customers.
- Windows, doors, flooring (vinyl, tile, engineered, etc.), electrical, plumbing, wood rot, painting, drywall, light HVAC, demolition, gutter cleaning, drapery installation, and more.
- Communicate with homeowners and other Handymen.
- Coordinate job flow to meet project goals and timelines.
- Show up on time, daily, ready to work and ready to exceed customer expectations.
- Home Maintenance Management, preventative maintenance package fulfillment.
- Committed to completing jobs on time and on budget. Will work the necessary hours to get a job done.
Why Work for Schloegel:
- Since our inception in 1980 we’ve had minimal to no layoffs.
- We provide 401k match, health insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation, provide transportation and gas (after probationary period), profit sharing, bonuses, etc.
- Our employees enjoy the team atmosphere.
- We retain and care about our teammates and want them to share our success.
About your Manager:
You will be reporting directly to the General Manager of the Handyman Division, a “get it done” person who wants to have you engaged in the day-to-day operation to ensure your success with the company. This person will empower you to make decisions that meet our code of ethics and quality standards. He is always will to work with you and converse with you on projects but expects you to have the knowledge and perseverance to get a job done.
- 10 years remodeling experience
- Can communicate in written and spoken English
- Excellent customer service skills
- Remodeling and construction knowledge of codes and standards
- Pass a background, credit, and drug check
- Verifiable references
Attributes Necessary to be Successful:
- Prioritize and schedule your projects and yourself
- Willingness to stay to get the project done
- Ability to change gears as needed by job conditions
- Excellent tradesman
- Maintain a positive outlook
Approximately 7:30AM to 5:00PM – whatever it takes to get the job done – Monday through Friday and some weekends.
Finish Carpenters should have five years of remodeling experience and must have a thorough understanding of rough and finish carpentry as well as the different trades required on each project. This is a 100% hands-on position requiring high-level carpentry skills. Excellent communication skills are vital to the success of a Finish Carpenter. They will exercise strong communication skills on a daily basis with clients and fellow employees. Finish Carpenters will also schedule their subcontractors in order to keep the project within budget and on schedule.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in demolition, framing and finish carpentry
- Experience in light electrical, plumbing, flooring, painting, etc. a plus
- Professional, clean-cut appearance
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated, organized
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Reliable transportation, preferably a pickup or van that can haul 4×8 sheets of material
- Willingness to work as part of a team or as an individual
- Drug-free (all new hires must undergo drug testing and a background check)
- Owns own tools